Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Note(s) to Guys

In sticking with my theme of dating adventures and guys - I thought it might be a nice little break (while I'm in between dates for the week. [[sidenote: I have a date tomorrow night with a new guy - Adventure No. 9!, and Aaron asked me out again]]. That being said, I'd like to write out a few notes or "tips" for guys in the dating world. DISCLAIMER: I am by no means a professional dater, nor do I possess the ability to tell people what they should or shouldn't do when they're on a date with you....but....if you're looking for someone who thinks (read: has no idea) she knows what she's doing...then read on:

Tips for Guys
1. Chivalry isn't and should NEVER die - HOLD DOORS OPEN for women.

2. Adding on to #1, Hold car doors open for them too. I mean, c'mon. I know we don't live in the 50's any more but really? Since when is being nice no longer acceptable? Sheesh

3. BE ON TIME OR EARLY! I don't even know how much I can stress this tip. It's not enough that you made a date to meet the girl or see her again but for pete's sake, be there before her. No woman likes to wait for a guy. It should always be the other way around [[sidenote: obviously there are issues that are unavoidable: traffic, accidents, major emergency's. Trust us, we get it. But if you have nothing else going on and you knew more than a few days in advance what time you were planning on meeting us, BE THERE.]]

4. Don't be wishy washy - especially prior to the first date. Girls like a guy who have a bit of a "take charge" attitude. And when I say this, don't read that I'm saying you have to make all the decisions but IF YOU DO THE ASKING OUT - YOU BETTER BE ASKING HER TO A PLACE YOU'VE THOUGHT OF ALREADY. [[sidenote: this is also an interesting situation. I realize a lot of guys will say, "well we want the girl to pick that way we know they'll like the place, food, feel comfortable, etc. Do us a favor....GET TO KNOW US THEN FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU THINK THEY MIGHT LIKE. ALSO - what makes you think we wouldn't like a place you like? We're obviously agreeing to go out with you for a reason. Stick up for what you like. If she ends up not liking it, you know for next time. Besides...in first date situations..the place/restaurant should be the LAST thing you talk about, esp if you're really in-to each other. Conversation will take care of the other stuff.]]

5. And speaking of conversation - DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOURSELF THE WHOLE TIME! I realize in a lot of first, second, and third date situations this is inevitable...but it shouldn't be one-sided. See dating adventure no. 3 with Rich. That kind of situation is the BEST way to get a girl to never want to see/talk/date you again.

6. When talking to a girl on the phone - hour long conversations are NOT NECESSARY. Aside from the fact that you or she are probably not big phone talkers - anything longer than 30 minutes is TOO LONG. Besides, if you're planning on seeing her, talk face to face! Technology takes so much of the element of intrigue and "chase" out of the dating scenario these days. Leave a little something for the actual date. Trust me - it is much better this way.

7. (Note for both sexes) DO NOT CRITICIZE! Being critical of someone/judgmental of someone's choices and how they're living their life is not a turn on. READ: TURN OFF. Big one! It's different when it's someone you've been dating for awhile - and even then I really think it should be kept to a minimum....but when you go into a dating situation knowing that the other person is already really busy - accept it or don't but don't make comments/criticisms about "how busy they are" or "how they have no time" or "it's been so long since we've seen each other I almost forgot what you looked like". It doesn't help said person saying the comments and if the person you're saying the comments to has any sense, they'll dump your ass. Case in point. Understand everyone has a life. Some are busier than others. Deal with it or find someone that has no life. It's your choice. But don't judge.

As for right now - those 7 are pretty big. I'm sure along the way there will be more to add to this list. Also - if any one can think of any more - feel free to let me know - I'll add them to the list.

No comments: