Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Adventures in Dating - Part 3

So, if you missed my previous two adventures, you can find them here and here. Enjoy! Oh it gets better....

Addendum:
I forgot one of the names of the guys in the beginning - his name is Rich. I couldn't think of it until I was on my way to a date I had last night...but that isn't Adventure 3 - this is the Adventure about Rich.

Adventures in Dating - Part 3
So Rich was another guy I met on the free dating site. He messaged me first and at first glance I was like, no way. I mean, sure he liked soccer and despite him being a Liverpool fan, I was like..fine, who am I to say no. I'll give him a chance. I've been trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. Although I didn't think his profile was that impressive and his pictures were all taken from a high angle. That should've been my first tip that this adventure was not going to go well.

So we start emailing back and forth. Get to know each other a little bit. We set up a date to meet and I figure, ok - if nothing it's a free meal (awful but still...whatever). We decide to meet on a Wednesday after I get off from work. I told him to suggest a place to meet because afterall, he is the guy. This should've been the second hint that it wasn't going to work out - he refused to pick a place. [[sidenote: A word of the wise to guys...if a girl asks you to pick a place, do it. I realize it's a nice gesture to let the girl choose the place of meeting/dining because that way she has control over what she can get (if she's one of those girls) but honestly - personally - it tells me you are wishy washy and passive if you don't take the initiative when asking a girl out for the first time. First dates - guys should suggest a place. Second dates - it's totally okay for the girl to. Just my two cents]] He asked me to call him when I was leaving work because he worked right around where I lived and he said it'd help him time it out better. Whatever. So I called him. More wishy-washiness about where to go - so I picked The California Pizza Kitchen. (they have great salads!)

Date #1
I got there first [[sidenote: this was the second time I had this happen. Ryan was the first, Rich was the second. Listen, I realize there's traffic. I realize we can't all be on time ALL the time - but seriously - let's make a first impression people. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine - just on dates though. The guy should be trying to impress me, y?/y.]] I waited for him outside and he arrived. Three things: 1. He was shorter than he said he was. 2. He DID NOT LOOK LIKE HIS PICTURES 3. He was not in shape the way he said he was. So you can imagine my disappointment in all these things. But, I was like, "well, I'm here, I might as well give him the benefit of the doubt, yes? ok" We go in, and he starts asking me some questions...what I do, what I'm going to school for, etc....and then we sit down. I don't know if it was because he was nervous or what but for the rest of the evening - I barely spoke. He ended up talking the whole time. About: Himself, His work (a LOT), His life, His family, what he knows about sports, etc. [[sidenote: I will say this, when it got to sports talk, because I was so annoyed that he had been talking the whole time, I pretty much put him in his place. He had no idea what he was talking about. So I got him to stop talking...for two minutes.]]

Thankfully I had two beers with dinner. That made it more bearable. So after dinner, he did walk me to my car (but I think it was mainly because it was in the same direction as his). I gave him a hug and said the obligatory, "I had a good time, thanks for dinner, blah blah blah". (yes, I said the blah blah blah...no just kidding). As soon as I got in my car, I called my best friend (see: person who suggested I write these adventures) and told her how awful the date was. Ugh.

Needless to say there was no second date - but he did send me a text the next day saying he had a great time and that if I wanted to get together another time he'd like that but (passively said) it didn't seem like you (meaning me) wanted to. I did not respond to that text.

No comments: