Thursday, May 13, 2010

Adventures in Dating - Part 4

Where have we been so far....Jason, Ryan, Rich....ah yes, now it's time for Shane. This is a doozy of a story for y'all. In the immortal words of my friend Trish - "You can't make this shit up".

Adventures in Dating - Part 4: Shane
Shane was a nice enough guy. (I write that and you read that as in it's possible I was like, "sure, what've I got to lose" but I really mean it. It was a great person). I also found him - like Rich and Jason - on the Free dating site. We seemed to have a lot in common and once we started chatting on the phone, our conversations were great! He loved my positivity and I really liked his outlook on life. We had a lot of similar perspectives as to how we felt we wanted to live our lives. He was a very outspoken individual which was kind of refreshing. Didn't hide anything...and that comes into play later..

Date #1
Shane and I decided to meet on a Sunday afternoon at the Dave and Buster's near my house. I wasn't that gun-ho about it because I don't particularly like going on a date where there will be a million little kids running around but he wanted to do something fun and I suppose I figured if he was paying - it could be fun! Ha (again, horrible of me, I know). So we meet up and start playing games. [[Sidenote: He was shorter than I thought he'd be and he was definitely less cute than I thought he'd be but he had a great smile and obviously I'm not going to just be like - that's it! we're not hanging out. I'm not rude. And if I can hang in there with Rich, I can hang in there with Shane. Plus who knows...]] He had told me before he was a pretty competitive person which was fine with me. He won some games, I won some games. And after an hour, we were out of points to play so he asked if I wanted to grab something to eat but I really had a ton of homework to get back to, so I asked for a rain check. He walked me to my car, gave me a hug, and we were on our ways (respectively and separately).

He called me later that night and left a message with, "I know most people say you're supposed to wait two days or whatever but that's not my style. I had a great time. I'd like to see you again." And I had fully intended on calling him back the next day but I didn't get around to it until later in the week. I left him a message and then I didn't hear from him. Maybe he was upset I didn't call back sooner? Who knew....but then I found out why....

The Bombshell
So he calls me on a Saturday night - but I was actually with Ryan on Date #2 that night so I didn't answer the phone and I called him back the next day, Sunday afternoon.

I tell him I was worried he was upset I waited too long to call him back but it was just the opposite. [[Sidenote: I noticed earlier in the week he had taken his profile stuff off the dating site...wasn't sure what that meant but thought it was weird.]] So we start getting into the conversation a bit more to which he says, "I'm just gonna come right out and tell you. I haven't told anyone else this but one other person." So I'm thinking - um, oooooookay. He says, "I got someone pregnant." To which I don't know what to say but ask him if he's okay and whatnot. I then mentions how he feels it would unfair to date anyone at this juncture and whatnot. No big deal. I wasn't offended. I felt more sorry for him. But it was fine because in a way, I was off the hook. I mean don't get me wrong, Shane was a nice guy/is a nice guy but I couldn't see us making more out of our situation than just the afternoon we spent together.

No Proof
So about a week goes by and I figure things are done and done with Shane. Sure enough - he calls me and we chat - he tells me he went to this girls house and asked her to take a pregnancy test and she refused. He told me he didn't believe her that she was pregnant. Which apparently in his mind meant - "I'm still free to call Katie and hang out with her." So he asked me if I wanted to go running with him that coming weekend. I accepted but after a few days I was like - I don't think this is a good idea. The situation is kind of iffy and I didn't feel comfortable with it. So I canceled on him.

I haven't heard from him since. One more person to take out of my phone.....

No comments: