Friday, September 2, 2011

Blame it on someone else....

But this post is totally out of left field - haha :-)

You know how I've been whining (yes, I know I have) about my mother and her antics in trying to have me spontaneously (combust) get married? Well I was reading Rachel Wilkerson's Blog about proposals and such and it got me thinking I would answer the questions she asked the girls on this page an entirely different way. Why? Because I can. And for what reason? Because I have some time to kill this morning before I meet up with the USATF guy to certify our 5k course :-)

So here goes:

What is the point of a traditional, down-on-one-knee surprise proposal?
Personally, for as independent as I am - and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this on here before, I want a guy to take the initiative. I think the down-on-one-knee proposal and a surprise one at that is a great way to show your woman that you've been thinking about it for awhile and that this random or not-so-random time was when you thought would be best because it was THOUGHTFUL on his part. In fact, if you're really curious you can check out this site that talks about all the traditions that go along with proposals. You can also see where the phrase "on bended knee" comes from here. As the second link shows - getting down on one knee is sign of respect to anyone - you kneel in a church before you enter a pew before God, you bow to people you meet in a lot of other countries....you kneel to a woman to show her you respect her and want to spend the rest of your life with her. I think a lot of women think they shouldn't want this tradition because women and men are supposed to be equals and everything but in this very moment, I think its entirely okay for him to be asking for your hand in marriage on one knee. I think this gesture is one of those chivalric things that should never go away - Chivalry is not dead people! Don't let it die just because you think it might be silly.....it's not. It's a grand gesture :-)

Do you think proposals are at all overrated?
Hellz to the no I do not think proposals are overrated. In fact, I already know HOW I'd like a guy to propose to me - if I'm ever so lucky! If you read through my answer to the first question you should know that I'm big on proposals. Especially if they're surprises. It always makes for a nice story and understand that this is usually one of the biggest events that happen in a person's life - who doesn't want to remember it fondly?

What are your thoughts on picking out your own ring? Why not let the guy choose?
I've actually thought about this a lot. Ha - and I don't even have a boyfriend! But ideally the guy will know what kind of ring I want. Whether it's because I showed him a style I like or because he knows me well enough - that's why the guy SHOULD be picking it out. I realize it's a huge investment and I realize that the woman will be wearing it on her finger forever but part of the excitement is seeing how well he did. Besides, if the guy knows his girl well enough, he'll KNOW that she'd want a Lucida Cut Platinum Ring....:-) I'm just sayin. Haha.

Are trips to jewelers and conversations about the logistics of engagement (like roughly when it will happen) killing romance?
Not necessarily but if those talks happen guys - understand that you're starting a fire in the girl's minds so be prepared for that to occupy her thoughts for awhile. And then wait like 3 months before you propose because she'll be expecting it sooner - esp if you are the one to bring it up. Which most guys don't/won't so I guess the question is moot. :-)

So isn’t “picking out rings” kind of the new proposal?
No. See question(s) above.

Do you have a dream proposal in mind? Would you be upset if it didn’t work out that way? I do have a dream proposal in mind - a few people know about it. I won't divulge this info on here but if you're lucky enough to know - then you're lucky enough to know :-) And call me crazy or whatever but I've told the people that if I don't get proposed to in that way, I won't be accepting the proposal (ha, who am I kidding....if it's the right guy it won't matter where he asks me......except it will).

What does your boyfriend think of all this stuff?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - what boyfriend?

Last question: is your man asking your dad if it’s cool?
Knowing my dad - he will DEFINITELY want the guy to ask him. My dad's a BIG traditionalist. I wonder how upset he'll be when he finds out I'm not getting married in a church (if I ever get married)? I think it's traditional and a smart way to say - "hey, I respect you and your daughter a lot and want to make sure I'll be a welcome part of this family." Of course, that doesn't always work out that way and it doesn't always matter if the parents don't like your beau - but then, think about whether you should be marrying him in the first place if your parents really don't like him.

With regard to this last question - obviously if dad isn't around for whatever reason, Mom's are the next person to ask. Mom's (atleast in my case) will most likely always answer YES YOU CAN HAVE HER AND KEEP HER AND THANKGOD YOU'RE ASKING HER I NEVER THOUGHT SHE'D GET MARRIED - WHENWILLYOUHAVEKIDS? But like I said - that could just be my mom. :-)

No comments: