Monday, September 12, 2011

Memories....

like the corner of my mind.....

haha, no. This isn't that kind of blog.

Good. New. Old. Bad. We all have them. Some we'd rather not have but as I've learned in my educational psych classes, you'll always have them - even if you don't remember them. Sometimes it takes something small to trigger a memory....especially one you hadn't thought of in a long while or possibly thought you forgot about....sometimes there are signs you see every day.

The other evening, I was fortunate enough to see my dear dear friend DAVE from Albright. I hadn't seen Dave, until Saturday night, in 11 1/2 years. WOWZERS! And I have to be totally honest....it was like no time had passed at all.

You see, some friends you lose touch with and when you reconnect you just don't quite click anymore.....and some friends it's as if you saw them yesterday. I couldn't believe it - I didn't really know what to expect - Dave and I are the friends of the former. Seriously - it felt like nothing had changed. Sure, we're 11 years older and sure our physical appearances have changed a bit....but seriously. It was like home. In the best way possible :-)

And time, as it always does with us...flies. We both had some zingers we let slip in our conversation....unfortunately because I had to get up early the next day I had to cut the evening short but not without knowing it will be SOONER rather than later as to the next time I see him.

Have you ever had a friend or friends that this happens to you with?

......switching gears a bit.....

The next morning was September 11th. I would be incredibly remiss if I did not acknowledge the way in which that day changed nearly everyone's life that day. I was having a conversation with my friend Paul the other evening and he made an interesting comment. We were talking about how shortly after the 9/11 attacks, there were other attacks throughout the world...London...Madrid...etc. He made the comment, "it's funny, when America was hit by terrorism...the world stopped. But when Madrid got hit...it was only there that it affected." So true.

Regardless of your political affiliation or how you feel about the government...we, as Americans...are SO fortunate to live in a country that is considered to be free of so many oppressions. Our 50 United states make of one of the most powerful and influential country's in the world....if not THE most powerful and influential. A lot of lives were taken from us that day 10 years ago and many were because they were doing their civic duty as firefighters, policemen, and medical workers. I think too often we lose sight of the fact that as a whole our country has overcome SO many things and yet we continue to fight for our freedom each and every day. I feel blessed to have so many amazing men and women who fight for my right to sit my ass on a couch in the middle of an afternoon and type this.

Life has certainly changed in America and all over the world since those attacks and thankfully the mastermind(s) behind the terrorism has been taken down...but who's to say it won't happen again? Nothing. Does that mean we should live in fear? HELL NO. It means it is our duty to make the most of what we have with what we're given. It means you should find those memories you have that are lost of the people you always think..."I wonder what they're doing now..."...or..."I wish I had kept in touch...". Now more than ever, the internet makes it possible to find those people. Do yourself a favor and reconnect with someone you miss dearly. You'll be glad you did and you'll be even more thankful we live in a place that allows us to do that.

No comments: