Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bad News Bears...

Love how this phrase is catching on :-) I've already heard a bunch of people using it at PSC. I use this one regularly.....:-)

But the real bad news...I went in to work on Wednesday morning to check on swim lessons and do a few odds and ends. As I'm clocking out at 11 to go workout, I get a phone call from the Montgomery County Health Department....

"Hi, can I please speak to a manager in charge?"
"That's me. You can speak to me. What can I help you with?"
"It's come to our attention that a child in your area, that has claimed to have swam in your pools tested positive for Cryptosporidium ."
"Oh, um......(pause)....so, basically are you telling me I have to shut down our pools?"
"Yes, you should do this immediately."

And.....so you can guess how happy everyone at the pools were. At 11AM. When we open. And it was hot as hell out. With no chance of rain. And two camps. Along with the one we already have there. awesome. OH YEAH ALSO - THE MANAGER IS AWAY ON VACATION. So the person that knows how to do all this...yeah...isn't here. Thankfully I can call him and he's been über helpful.

I had a bunch of my guards close the pools and help me out. I can't even begin to describe how grateful I am for them being there. Bethany came in and Mike came in too. They both stayed with me for the rest of the day. Chris and Ryan both helped out a lot. I can't even begin to thank them or know where to start to thank them for their help.

So the rest of the day went as follows. The Health Department came out to the pools. They tested us. Told us we have to get our chlorine levels up and stay up for atleast 13 hours. After that, we can start bringing them down and when they come to a normal level they will come out and re-test. So we did what we could do yesterday. Got the levels up. They stayed up overnight.

In the mean time - we threw all the toys and such into the pool. It was kind of creepy later in the day with no one where - but courtesy of Bethany - here's what some of the toys looked like:




Myself, Bethany, Mike, Chris and Ryan were all at PSC for a LONG time. I think I logged 16 hours yesterday. Mike at 15. Bethany at 12. Chris at 12 (although he was there longer) and Ryan at a normal day (although he was there longer too).

In the mean time - Ryan brought over P90X and Bethany, Ryan and I did one of the workouts. As seen here (photos courtesy of Bethany's camera - taken by Mike):





The guards were also planning their guard fun night. We still had it. I used the scavenger hunt clues I made up and they had a boys vs girls game.

The Girls:


The Boys:


I think they all had a good time. Shortly after they finished the scavenger hunt (boys technically won btw, but I'm giving them all a prize for playing) it downpoured. We finished up one set of tests and started watching Tropic Thunder. I could barely keep my eyes open before I was like, "oh, that's enough. We've gotta get out of here."

It was a long day...and today was pretty much another long day. The only reason I'm home now is because I was starting to get punchy. I'm just so tired that I am either going to start laughing hysterically or cry outwardly. And I definitely don't want to do either of those. At least not in the presence of my guards.

Today I got to the club early - 7:30ish. Checked the levels. Started working on bringing the chlorine down. It's taken all day but they're coming down. Hopefully the club will be open with flying colors tomorrow morning and all will be fine. The Swim Team has "B" Champs on Saturday at PSC. So here's hoping we can re-open and they don't have to change venues (for their sake).

The only bad thing (for me) is that I'm so drained right now that I didn't work out today. I guess it's okay to take a day off - but I missed Monday - and if I miss(ed) today - I might not get a chance to work out on Saturday since I'm bouncing from one thing to another. I haven't had a chance to study for my Praxis test on Saturday and even though I feel pretty confident.....I'd still like to get a practice test in....ya know?

ah well - I guess this is what happens when you take a job like this. The saying is something like, "expect the unexpected" - yes?

No comments: