Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Being good isn't always easy.....

no matter how hard I try.....

Ah, Dusty Springfield :-) Nothing like a little "Son of A Preacherman"

So I was perusing my usual blogs this morning and came across one of my faves, Half Of Me. Jeannette Fulda is awesome. I bought her book and read it like - in two hours - it was that good and funny:-) But so she was talking about her 10 year high school reunion. And it got me thinking about mine.

Apparently - our 10 year reunion is this month - of course - I graduated in 1999....so I was a little confused as to why we were having it now. I haven't recieved an invitation or anything - I think it's more like - hey - just spread word of mouth - everyone is meeting in this spot on this night - if you're home - awesome - if not - sucks to be you! Yeah. Lame. I know. I honestly don't really care all that much about it. I'd be more interested to see people at the 20th HS Reunion anyway. I mean - sure 10 years out of high school, people change but really, I think the older we get the more interesting we get. Although, that could just be me.

Nevertheless - I was thinking about something Jeannette talked about. The most common question people will ask is "What're you doing with yourself or what have you done in the last 10 years?" or some question along those lines..and she came up with the brilliant idea of trying to say it all in less than 100 characters....yep characters, not words. So I wondered if I could do it....

In the last 10 years I:
Went to college, moved, grad school, news produced, moved, moved, golf channel, traveled.

That's 89 characters. I realize it doesn't totally give a complete description of all I've done in the last 10 years - but those are the major bullet points. And I suppose others will have "marriage" or "had kid" in theirs - as there are quite a few people I went to high school with that are now married and/or have kid(s). Which is awesome. I'm happy for them as long as their happy.

I used to think that was it. I used to believe that I was supposed to go to college - I'd meet (or in my case - continue to date) the person I was gonna get married to. Get a job after school, get married, get a house..then maybe wait a few years and have my first kid. All before it was my 10 year HS reunion. I really did. But - things just don't work out that way some times, do they? I honestly - I want all those things - but I am grateful for the curveball that I've been thrown when it comes to my life. I think this can completely relate to the previous post about being grateful for the things I have.

Sure, I don't have a husband or kids...but I will one day. Sure, I'm not making 100K a year - but who is? (and there's always time for that). Sure, I'm not even remotely close to any of those things - but - I've done SO MUCH with my life - and I'm only 27. That's it! 27. It's freakin' awesome! I got so lucky with the parents I have. I am fortunate to never be without - and I always have love from them. I have great friends who're going through life in the same way....similar stories...and I hope they are proud of all they've accomplished too!

The thing is - I do have some friends that look at me and the life I have and are just like, "what? you mean you don't even have a boyfriend? I don't understand that. I don't get that. You're such a great girl. What happened? Did someone hurt you? Are you too demanding?" And I just LAUGH! Hahahahahaha:-)

I don't normally have a response to those questions because most of the time when I do get presented with them I simply say, "Nope. hey maybe you can work on that for me!" Haha.

Of course - me saying all this implies I don't care about it. Which, if you've read any of my previous posts - you know - I do care. And even a few paragraphs earlier. I want all of that. I just know it'll happen in time. I have moments of anxiety where I freak out and want to know when it'll happen and why it hasn't happened yet. But then I remember....because I'm only opening up my life for certain things right now.

.....the boyfriend thing.....well....who knows:-) But what I do know - is that things aren't always as bad as we some times think they are....and I'm pretty damn proud of the "less than 100 characters describing the last 10 years of my life":-)

No comments: