Saturday, September 25, 2010

If I Had Eyes in The Back of My Head....

Lot of people spend their time just floating
We were victims together but lonely
You got hungry eyes that just can't look forward
Can't give them enough but we just can't start over
Building with bent nails we're
falling but holding, I don't wanna take up anymore of your time
Time time time

Sometimes time doesn't heal
No not all
Just stand still
While we fall
In or out of love again I doubt I'm gonna win you back
When you got eyes like that
It won't let me in
Always looking out
Always lookin
~Jack Johnson

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking back on a bunch of my old posts and stumbled upon the list of "100 Things About Me". It was interesting to read it now, two years later. So much has changed....particularly the one thing I wrote "I have never had someone close to me die" and "I've only been to one funeral". In the last year...we all know this as changed. But I don't want to make this a bummy post.

As you can imagine...the subject is a Jack Johnson song...but in reality the main concept of the song is essentially the saying, "hindsight is 20/20". We all have a tendency to "look back" on the past and often times dwell on it too much. I'm working on this. As I work on a lot of things in my life....regrets have never been a big aspect in my life. Somewhere there is another saying, "I do not regret the things I have done, but those I did not do." I'm hoping to do some of the things in my life I really WANT to do.

Some of the other things on all my "lists" that seemingly come back time and time again are: Backpacking Europe, Getting my PhD, having a family, getting married, etc....in no particular order. These are all things I know I can do. I'm going to work hard to do them!

In the last few weeks I've noticed how much my family complains. Complaining about what they don't have. Complaining about the circumstances their in. Complaining about pretty much everything. It is unnerving to hear people who are so "well off" (and I obviously mean this in a way in which they are not desolate or living in africa with no food), complain. Where is there perspective? Why am I the only one in my family that seems to get that it could always be a lot worse?

Perspective. It's possibly an idealistic concept yet completely based in reality. Without perspective, how are we to know where we stand? Rational people tend to be able to put things into perspective more readily (read: easily). Irrational people tend to jump to extremes in ALL situations. And I realize irrationality is brought about by stress. But then, which do you attempt to do first? Create a less stressful environment or put things into perspective in order to create a less stressful thought process? Or...are they simultaneous?

It's funny - you'd think that perspetive and patience would go hand in hand. I wish they would for me. I have trouble with my patience but have complete perspective on the events of my life. Why can't I just have a little bit of patience with the lack of perspective that some people have?

No comments: