Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 7

Day 07 - A picture of your most treasured item.

This is a tough one for me because I don't really rank the items in my life by value. I have a lot of "things" but there really isn't one that I could honestly say is the most treasured. But from my childhood.....



This is a Baby Strawberry Shortcake Doll. To me, her name is Didi (pronounced dee dee). Along with a blanket that my grandmother gave me which was made in Appalachia, they were/are probably my most valued treasures. I used to sleep with them EVERY night. No joke.

A favorite story of mine (that my dad loves to tell too) is how one time when I was about 7 or 8, I was going to bed and Didi wasn't there. I had been playing with her outside and left her on the hill of grass next to my neighbors house. Oooooh boy was I freaking out.

Another great story - I was probably 3 or 4 at the time. I was attending the old Flanagan's Day Care (on Hector Street before it moved to Fayette). My friend Suzanne and I wanted to "ice skate" inside and we used Didi as our middle person to twirl. Soon enough our twirling came to an end because one of Didi's arms had broken off (the stitching had come undone). OHHHHH man. If you've ever heard a kid cry over a toy or something, you haven't heard me. I was DEVASTATED. They even called BOTH my parents to tell them how upset I was. Jane Flanagan duct taped Didi's arm back into place (which gave her a completely stiff right arm). Luckily my Aunt Kim bought me another Didi and all was well.

Lots of memories with that doll. LOTS of pictures with that doll. My mom even used to make us matching outfits (when she used to sew clothes for me and Kelly). I still have her. I'll always have her. The best confidant and friend a kid could ask for.

OH and if you pushed her stomach in, she blew strawberry kisses :-)

No comments: