Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Running is a mental sport.....and we are ALL insane" :-)

Haha! I saw that quote on a T-shirt at the race expo on Saturday. I should've bought it when I was there. Next time......

Anyway - a race re-cap - with pictures!!!

Firstly, it was - by far - the TOUGHEST race for me to get through. Not because it was a difficult course or because I wasn't prepared for it, I just kind of hit a wall around mile 8 - at which point I walked a few times. I did, however, still PR - 1:53.17 - which surprised me - made me think how fast I would've gone had I not walked - but oh well, that's what the next one is for! :-) May 22! But anywho - on to this race....

At the start, it was about 40 degrees at start time - so we came prepared in sweats that we could leave there to donate to shelters and organizations that help people. But before the start we took some pics :-) Of course...none during the race....I never bring a camera but thankfully Bethany brings hers otherwise I wouldn't have anything to show y'all!

I started out really well - felt good but honestly after mile 5 I needed to get into a rhythm and I just never did. I think that's why I sort of bonked at mile 8. At mile 7, the PW XCer's were handing out water and gatorade. I saw one of my lifeguards, Kyra, which gave me a boost of energy but I realized I took gatorade at this station instead of water which ended up giving me cramps in my side. Yuck. That was the first obstacle. Of course - me being the stubborn person I am - I just sucked it up and ran through them. Eventually they went away and at the next station I made the mental note to GRAB WATER instead of Gatorade.

Shortly after mile 7 - the hills started. At this point in the run we were in University City and I don't know why I didn't remember this hill - probably becauce I blocked it out - and for good reason. It's one of those gradual hills that laugh at you with every step you take up it. I didn't walk yet because I knew there was a downhill portion coming and the Zoo was up next so I was determined to keep going...but it was just after the Zoo and entering Fairmount Park where I walked. Around mile 9 I was like - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! HOW RUDE! Now, I definitely remembered THIS hill. In fact, I told Bethany about it when we signed up for it. This hill is killer because it's about a half a mile and it's all UP. UGH. I started going up it - aaaaaaaaaaaaand then I walked.....and then I tried to run again....but I knew it wasn't worth it - I walked for about 2 minutes (what felt like 10) and then picked it back up for the last water/gatorade station on the course. The rest of the run was relatively flat and/or downhill (with the exception of the last little bit infront of the art museum.....but it was at this point where I was literally saying out loud "I don't even care if I go over 2 hours, just finish this." I was seriously ready to collapse at this point and the whole last two miles I thought I was going to throw up. My legs felt like lead. No lie.

Eventually I finished - thank the lord - and even PRed - who knew? Bethany finished up a few minutes behind me. It was a tough one but glad I pushed through.

And now - the Pièce de résistance :-) The pictures:










No comments: