Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Learning to let go....

I don't know about anyone else...but I am terrible at letting go.  I am and most certainly have gotten better at it since I was in college....but to explain what I mean:

-I need to learn to let go of feeling like I disappoint people.  In reality, people are not as upset as we all think they are.  Sure, we might break plans with them and then disappear for a bit because we are busy, but our real friends won't care about the gaps between talking or seeing one another.  And if they do, it probably comes from a place of love and concern rather than anger and resentment.

-I need to learn to let go of the fact that I do not have control over most things in my life.  I may try on a daily basis to have control but the truth is, something could throw a wrench into my life at any moment - or someone else's life that is close to me - and it could disrupt everything.  I have to learn to just give things up to the universe.  Things WILL work out the way they are supposed to.

-I need to learn to let go of the fact that I am still single at 31.  I put up really good fronts about how I feel about it and the fact of the matter is, I am less okay with it than I let others know.  But I've been told I can't do the looking, it just has to happen.  I need to learn to not worry about this so much.  What's so wrong with spending my life without a partner?  Nothing at all.  But the real question is - do I want to spend my life without a partner/husband/spouse?  Not at all.

-I need to learn more patience with myself.  I'm getting much better at delegating work and not trying to do everything myself - but I have little to no patience for myself.  Why do I do that?  I have plenty of patience for everyone else and my friends?  Why do I feel like I shouldn't have the same amount of patience with myself?  I have high expectations for myself, yes.  But sometimes it's okay to not meet them.  Why do I tell myself otherwise?

-I need to turn these "needs" into "will". 

I will let go of feeling like I disappoint people.
I will learn to let go of the fact that I have no control over things.
I will learn to let go of the fact that I am still single at 31.
I will learn to have more patience with myself. 

I will.

No comments: