Monday, October 8, 2012

The Happiness Project

So, a few weeks ago I started reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  The chapters are divided into Months.  I'm halfway through June which means I'm about halfway through the book.  It's been a really interesting read so far.  The book is basically about her journey to find MORE and GENUINE happiness that she felt she was missing in her life.  Basically, she's already happy she just wants to be happier.  

She addresses the fact that there are so many people out there that complain to her that she shouldn't be harping on the fact that she is already happy and wants to be happier when there are other people out there who are not as well off as she is......I could instantly relate to this concept.  So many times I feel as though people think I am being dramatic or whining when I talk about how I feel or what's going on in my life.

 Sure, I know things could be a lot worse.  Yes, I technically have a pretty good life.  But the thing is, I too want to be happier.  

 I am happy.  I really am.  No, things don't always go my way and some of the events that have happened in my life in the last four months weren't exactly what I would call awesomesauce but for the most part, I am grateful for the people who surround me in my life and what I have at my disposal.  I definitely am aware that life could be way worse and I do not take what I have for granted in any way.

 All that being said, I've decided I'm going to attempt to make the last quarter of 2012 the best part and end on a high note.  2011 ended on a high note, why can't I go for the repeat?  Especially since one of my best friends getting married kick started the awesomeness that is the final portion of 2012!  YAY! :-)

There is a whole section on Rubin's website about how you can start your own happiness project.  She's very goal oriented (like me), so it should be no problem for me to set some goals and achieve them.  Although I don't look for the "gold stars" she talks about wanting to receive, I know the rewards will come in time.  The first part says to 'Identify your aims' - Ask yourself these questions:

▪ What makes you feel good? What gives you joy, energy, fun?
I feel good when I exercise, eat right, don't over indulge (redundant?), help others, accomplish my "to-do" list (more-so cross things off because I just love making lists and crossing things off! really, I do).  I find joy when I am with my friends and family.  I find joy when I am traveling.  I have energy after I workout and eat well.  I have fun when I learn something new.  I also, believe it or not, have a blast when I coach/teach.

▪ What makes you feel bad? What brings you anger, guilt, boredom, dread?
I always feel bad when I eat things that are not good for me and I haven't worked out.  I feel bad when I have to cancel on friends because I stupidly spread myself too thin.  I also feel bad when I let others down.  I feel bad when I look for approval from someone (in particular) and don't get it.  I am angry with people who make me feel "less than".  I get bored doing nothing.  I dread not having things to do on a daily basis - which is why I fill up my days with a lot of random things.

▪ What makes you feel right? What values do you want your life to reflect?
I feel right when I have set goals and accomplished them.  Nothing makes me feel worse than knowing I have told someone I'd do something and then don't follow through. 
The values I want my life to reflect are integrity, honesty, love, caring, kindness and compassion/understanding.

▪ How can you build an atmosphere of growth—where you learn, explore, build, teach, help?
Try new things and surround myself with positive people.  Spend less time with those that belittle my ambitions or make me feel as though I can not do something.  Work hard to spend more time with the friends who truly love me and show more thoughtfulness when it comes to everything.


The next step is creating my own personal commandments.  In some way, shape, or form I have done this over the years - just writing down things "I will do" or things "I won't do".....those things are coming.....until next time...




No comments: