Saturday, January 1, 2011

Uncle Ace: January 2 1954 - January 1 2011

The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God. ~Quoted in The Angels' Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994

(Edited to Accuracy - I started writing this last night).
We found out this morning that my Uncle Ace (Andrew), passed away. He was on a business trip in New York. Apparently he was in a meeting this morning and told his business partner he wasn't feeling well, so he went up to his hotel room to take a nap. He died in his sleep.

I don't often talk about my mom's family on this blog. One of the reasons is because I don't always feel super connected with them. Other times it's because I am not always in contact with them, despite living so close to them. For that, I am disappointed in myself.

My Uncle Ace was closest in age to my mom. In fact, she often reminds us that for a lot of her life she thought they were twins. Trust me. If you saw pictures, you'd see it. He was essentially the middle child of the 8 Zuzelo kids. Slightly eccentric but always hilarious and usually the source of the laughter at family get togethers. It was not uncommon for him and my grandfather, Z, to be on the outs and in the last few years, things were definitely strained. But. He was/is family. And today, despite the fact that Z is a jerk some times, he was reminded that Andrew was one of his children whom he loves very much. My family may be crazy but when we're suffering, we're all there no matter what.

As I mentioned two 'graphs up, I am disappointed in myself. My Uncle Ace lived just over in Norristown. Not even 5 miles away. And yet, I hardly saw him. Not that he was always around either - but as a whole - I didn't spend much time with him beyond my childhood. I'd say my sister probably has more memories with him than I do. The infamous stories of how she and him used to watch 'The Odd Couple' and he'd hold Kelly's arms while she danced to the music. The most memories I have of Uncle Ace involve knowing he loved to collect stamps (his AIM name was stampsnmor). I know he was a hilarious person. He pretty much was the funniest family member. Always cracking jokes at every family function. I can only bet that he's behind those pearly gates busting everyone's chops and making them laugh as though they've never laughed before.

I'll always miss you Uncle Ace. Forever in my memory, always in my heart.


(This picture was taken at one of our last "Family Reunion's", probably about three or four years ago. It's 7 of the 8 Zuzelo kids. He's the fourth one up the slide. They did the order according to Age - My Uncle Ward is the only one missing - he should be behind my Aunt Kim)

No comments: